Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Short People

It never ceases to amaze me how negative people can be. I will never understand what makes people tick and I try to put myself in other peoples' shoes as often as I can. But sometimes I just don't get it.

I just erased this whole long post about this stupid incident that happened between me and some "friends." I deleted it because, frankly, it's just not worth it. I've changed a lot over the past 2 years. Going through a very painful and horrendous situation helped me become much more appreciative and grateful for what I do have. I learned that being negative, pessimistic and unhappy will get me nowhere. Instead, focusing on what is truly great in my life, finding the positive in my situation and surrounding myself with others that bring light and happiness into my life is more important than anything. Sure, there are times I'm unhappy and there are times when I do not feel positive. But overall, life is a lot more fun when you find the joy around you. Complaining, bitching, gossiping? Not worth it. When something unpleasant happens, I give myself room to be upset about it, complain, and then it's over.

I've posted several times about some pretty ugly people I've come into contact with, some strangers, some not strangers. You can read my most recent posts about that here and here. So I don't need to go into again now since it would basically just reiterate my feelings in my previous posts. I'm only talking about it now because I a) promised I'd blog more in 2012 and b) this is a blog about my life and, well, this happened in my life.

Anywho...

A couple of weeks ago I saw this news piece about being positive. For some reason it stuck with me, I don't know why. One particular point that was discussed is called "negative downcasting." I think that's what it's called, perhaps it's called something else. It really doesn't matter. Anyway, it's when you're in a bad situation and you just automatically find the positive outcome. So, when our flight was diverted the other night due to poor weather conditions, instead of doing the usual "Oh woe is me, why does this have to happen to me?" thing that so many of us do, I just said to myself that I was thankful we didn't try to land the plane and potentially have some serious issue arise. We landed safely in Las Vegas and avoided a potentially serious situation. Sure I was not happy we had to land elsewhere and find alternative means home. John and I were tired and the kids were not happy. But we were all together, we eventually got home safely and we all got to sleep in our own beds that night. Thinking about it in that way made the situation so much better. That's how I dealt with moving to San Diego. Sure I miss my friends and family and it was crazy for us to deal with after just having twins. But if I fought it and thought about how awful it was going to be, the move out here would have been that much more awful. So I didn't fight it, I went with it. I even enjoyed it. And now I'm in the happiest place in years.

I'm not writing this to say I'm better than anyone because I try to avoid drama or think positively. I'm writing this because if thinking this way has helped me get to a really great place mentally, physically, emotionally, etc., maybe it could help someone else that's maybe not as happy as they may lead us to believe.

Just saying...

No comments: