Thursday, June 19, 2008

Even if things get heavy we'll all float on

Do you ever just go to certain places because the people there are so nice? There is a deli on the same block as my office and I love the people that work there. This is the St. Elmo Deli and it's own by a little family. We don't really say much to each other, other than what I order and when it's ready, but I just get this vibe that they are good people. And they make a mean BLT with avocado.

As I get on in life, it's becoming so much more apparent that you just HAVE to be nice to people. It's not something you should try to be, you should just be nice. It's so much easier to smile at someone or hold the door for them than it is to do neither of those things. And why are people so freaking rude? It really takes so much more effort to be rude. I find that when I'm having a bad day or am upset about something, when someone does something nice, like holds the door or elevator for me, it truly makes my day. A simple smile can go so far. We're all just trying to get by. I mean really, why can't people just understand that? We are all going through the same things.

I was watching the live coverage of Tim Russert's funeral yesterday and it was really moving. First I felt badly for watching, like I was exploiting him by contributing to the media monster that felt it was ok to televise a man's funeral. But as I watched, it just was clear how much he was truly loved by everyone he met, and even those he didn't meet (like me). It just goes to show you that being nice, genuine and excited about life will bring much happiness and joy to your life, as well as those around you.

On a completely different subject...I found this blog this morning and I LOVE it. I just love the whole concept of finding all the donut spots in NYC. Because you know they're going to be good donuts. Anyone that knows me, knows I love a good donut. In fact, donuts were the food item I made John go get me when I was pregnant. MMMM....donuts. I can't wait until we're in NYC in July so I can check out some of these places.

Now go have a good day!

No comments: