Wednesday, December 24, 2008

All These Things I've Done (I've got soul but I'm not a soldier)

Girls on the Run International, the parent to Girls on the Run of Montgomery County, sends out a weekly email to its councils with updates and various musings. In each email there is a "Word up" from Molly Barker, who is the founder of the organization. Molly is a great woman and is probably the goofiest person I've ever met. The weekly email arrived in my Inbox about an hour ago and Molly's "Word up" is as goofy as ever. She discusses 'soul laughing,' which is when you are completely present in the moment and absolutely love the moment you're in. You basically smile on the inside and out. Goofy concept, I know, but I completely relate. Anyone that knows me well knows I'm 100% goofball.

Anyway, Molly listed 15 things that give her that soul-laughing feeling. In the spirit of the holidays, I wanted to play along. I don't know if I can think of 15, but I'll try. And I definitely pilfered one from Molly because I feel the same way. Here's my take on soul laughing, in no particular order:
  1. Keller's belly laugh. Gets me every time.
  2. When we dance to "Birthday" for someone's birthday. Everyone is involved, even Lola the dog.
  3. Someone in the car next to me is singing at the top of their lungs, especially when hands are in motion and head movements are included.
  4. Anything that Keller says, really. Especially when he tells me I'm his best friend. :)
  5. Spending time with my girls. Cheapest, yet most effective, therapy around.
  6. Watching the Kona Ironman Championships.
  7. Listening to John talk and play with Keller when he doesn't know I'm listening.
  8. Watching anyone I've coached cross a finish line. Or hear about a wonderful workout they've had. Really, just seeing anyone I've ever coached have a proud moment in running shoes or not.
  9. Spending time with my parents.
  10. Watching Keller in school, interacting with his friends and teachers, when he doesn't know I'm there.
  11. Seeing people do nice things for others just for the heck of it. Simple things, like holding the elevator or saying "hello."
  12. Getting Christmas cards.
  13. Getting hugged. I really like hugs.
  14. Dancing like a lunatic. And seeing people laugh because of it.
  15. Running.
There are my 15.
Speaking of running, I ran for the first time yesterday. I did 2 miles of running and walking and felt really good. I didn't have any pain while I was running and I haven't had an residual pain. Yippy! I'm back, baby!
I hope all of you have a wonderful, JOYOUS holiday! Be safe and merry!

No comments: