Friday, April 3, 2009

Killing Me Softly

I think that, by being on the grand jury, I am dying a slow and painful death. It is excrutiating. And I'm not talking boring. It's literally painful to go there.

We're now in our second month of service and we're all becoming disgustingly jaded. We sit there and listen to maybe 15-20 cases each day and it's just horrible. I obviously can't go into exactly what we hear but it's just case after case of crimes. Some of the crimes are not so bad and they usually involve an extremely stupid person committing the crime. Sometimes we even chuckle at the stupidity. But then there are cases we hear that bring us to tears.

I honestly don't know if I'm going to make it through the rest of my service. John and I were talking about it this morning and we're interested in knowing if there have been any studies on grand jury members before and after their terms of service. Are they dead inside after they finish their terms. Because I can definitely see myself heading in that direction.

Maybe it's the weather that is making me feel this way. Or at least contribute. I cannot wait for this weekend. It's supposed to be gorgeous weather-wise and we have some fun plans. Tomorrow morning we're walking in the Race for Lung Life 5K, which is a race honoring the founder of my company who died of lung cancer last year. Then tomorrow evening we're going to Susan's 30th birthday party (Hi Susan! Happy early b-day!). Then Sunday is the Cherry Blossom 10-miler. I'm excited about it because it's truly my favorite DC race. I would love to do well, but I'm not so sure how it's going to go. It took me a lot longer to come back after I broke my toe than I thought it would. I guess because it was a break and dislocation, it was more traumatic. I still have pain every now and then. Between that and all the stuff that's been going on for the past few months, I haven't been able to train as well as I'd hoped. And to top it all off, I've been sick all week! I guess we'll see how things go on Sunday.

Well, this was a cheery post. Hopefully after a fun weekend, I'll be in a better mood on Monday. :)

No comments: