Friday, December 10, 2010

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Last weekend we went to see Santa Claus. How does one go see Santa when they are on bed rest? Well, we needed to get creative.

When we got to the mall, John dropped me off and I sat on a bench at the front while he and Keller parked the car. When they came in, Keller stayed with me on the bench and John went to get me a wheelchair. Yes, a wheelchair. I felt bad getting a wheelchair because I'm not actually disabled. But I'm not allowed to walk around or even sit upright for very long. Plus the mall wasn't busy as we got there when they first opened and I didn't think there was going to be a mad rush on wheelchairs.

Besides, I've already missed Keller's Halloween parade at school, trick or treating, and his Thanksgiving feast at school, among the regular everyday things I can't do with him. I couldn't miss Santa. This bed rest thing has me missing out on a lot and I couldn't miss yet another thing.

Thankfully we didn't have to wait too long for Santa. I was parked over on the side watching everyone. It was kind of amusing. Then Keller gets to Santa and tells him he wants a race car. Since when? He tells us Transformers and Bakugans and whatever else and he tells Santa a race car? It reminded me of the scene in The Christmas Story where Ralphie, who wants a Red Rider Bee Bee Gun gets nervous when he sees Santa and tells him he wants a football. Thankfully this Santa wasn't as creepy.

After Santa we went to lunch. All in all, it was a great day. It felt good to be out in the world and I was so happy to have been there to see Santa with Keller. Even if I did feel like an ass sitting in a wheelchair.

And to top it all off, this morning Keller said he hoped Santa leaves something for his babies. He wants them to have something to open when they come home. It was too sweet. And I cried.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: