Sunday, April 27, 2008

Pike's Peek 10K

Today was Pike's Peek. I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised with how this race went.

This week was pretty rough. Work was busy, Keller was demanding, and then I got sick later in the week. I had been having allergy problems all week. Actually for the last two weeks or so. But my stomach starting acting up Friday. I felt really nauseous and I thought I had come down with the stomach virus that has been going around. Thankfully, I never got physically sick. But I was definitely worried about the race on Sunday.

We spent most of Saturday shopping. My stomach finally settled and I was feeling much better. So we went shopping! We went up to the Hagerstown outlets to drop some cash. And we did. We got caught in a terrible thunderstorm on the way home. It was pretty scary. But we made it and all was well.

Race morning, I felt pretty good. I didn't really sleep all that well. Keller had woken up around 2 AM and needed some love. Thankfully I was able to fall back to sleep. When I finally got up, I got ready, had my mini bagel and peanut butter and a banana, and headed out.

It was pretty chilly when I got to the race start. But it was a good chilly. I knew it wouldn't be too warm. I bumped into a few friends, which is always nice. I saw my coach, Mike, which I didn't know I would. He gave me few words of advice for the race and then I was off to warm up.

After I warmed up, I was walking towards the race start and ran into my friend, Sarah, from Mom's Club and Girls on the Run. We hadn't seen each other in a while, so we caught up before the race started. We decided to run together since we were both trying to run the same pace.

Once the race started, I was feeling pretty good. The course is relatively down hill, though there are definitely some hills they don't tell you about. But overall, I was pretty happy with how the race went. Especially the post-race kisses from Keller!

Most of all, I'm pretty happy with my time. I ran a 51:44, which is about an 8:19 minute mile. I was pretty excited when I finished. I definitely felt like I was working and I was running hard. I was happy that my stomach never acted up and my body felt good as well. Considering I have a marathon to do next Sunday, I was definitely concerned about hurting myself.

It looks like with the work set out for me this summer, I have a good shot at qualifying for Boston. I believe I have to run an 8:25/mile marathon to qualify, so we'll see. I feel confident and I think I'll at least either break 4 hours or be close to it. We'll see...

1 comment:

jgill said...

You would not know it from reading this post, but her husband was there, and he can vouch for her great run and time.

Jenn's Husband (who is not at all bitter from not being mentioned in this post)