Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Honk if you love three-day weekends...

Three-day weekends rock.

This past Memorial Day weekend was so nice! The only way it would have been better is if a briefcase with $1 million was left on our doorstep. Sadly, this did not happen and I think I just depressed myself. Oh well.

After work on Friday, once we were all home, we headed up to Costco in Frederick. We have been waiting to purchase a flat-screen TV for years. I wasn't working when they first came on the scene. They were just way too expensive and I couldn't see buying one at all. But this year marked John's 10th year with his organization and he received a nice bonus. Because this is a bonus, you're supposed to have fun with it. You know, he earned it. We went to Costco because they have excellent prices and they also extend the manufacturer's warranty for another year. Plus, the membership we have with Costco allows us to earn cash back on our annual purchases. Basically, Costco rocks. But I digress.

The TV is awesome! Seriously, I've never been a big electronics person and even I'm impressed. And Keller loves it! He was pretty mesmerized as he watched Sesame Street for the first time. I have a great photo of it and will post it when I get home tonight.

Saturday we went to breakfast with Mary and Noah, then played at the park for a while. Keller took a 4-hour nap, which was nice for everyone! We then went to the Washingtonian to walk around and enjoy the beautiful weather. Saturday night I went to dinner to say goodbye to my good friend, Stephanie. She is off to Connecticut to become the owner of the Fleet Feet Sports, Hartford store. I am very excited for her, but will miss her terribly. She left yesterday and I miss her already.

Sunday, we went to the park with Mary, Steve, and Noah in the morning. We went to Black Hills park and I think we'll have Keller's birthday party there this year. Anyway, we brought Lola with her (in her Memorial Day collar, of course). Somehow, she became a show pony and at one point, half the kids at the park were crowded around her to see her and pet her. Um, she's a dog. A Black Lab at that. It's not like she just landed from Mars and has green fur and is a sight to see. Don't get me wrong, Lola is pretty darn cute. Maybe it was her collar.

Sunday afternoon, we had friends over for a cookout. That was fun. I love the chaos of having people over. Kids running around, music playing, all of us together. You can't beat it.

Monday, we went to the pool in the morning. We got a pass for the pool in a nearby community because ours community doesn't have a pool. While the water was freezing, it was still nice. And somehow I managed to get sunburn on one of my shoulders (the left one). Guess I missed with the sunblock spray. Monday afternoon, we went over to Allison and Phil's for another cookout. It was great to have all of us together (the Silberman, Gies, and Gill families!). I'm looking forward to this summer.

So, this brings me to the question: why can't we have three-day weekends every week? Really, are we really that productive on Fridays? Or Mondays, for that matter? Especially in the summer. I guess if we always had three-day weekends, we'd then get greedy and want four. Both Friday and Monday off. Then nothing would ever get done and the country would collapse. But I don't think people would really want four days. I think three is the perfect amount. Saturday you usually spend running errands and other things, so it's not like you're really relaxing. Sunday you relax, maybe stay up late, have a few drinks. Then Monday you rest up for the work week. This could definitely work. I say we give it a try. Maybe if everyone calls in sick every Friday, the higher-ups will just have to give us the day off anyway. Let's give it a try this week and see what happens!

No comments: