Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sleep is for the weak

I am flying high on caffeine right now, so if this doesn't make sense, I apologize.

Last night, I went to a concert with some friends I haven't seen in months. I got home pretty late and now I'm exhausted. I have some important meetings today, but I should be able to get through them.

I went to see Joan Osborne at the Ram's Head in Annapolis with Lynne and Betsy. I met Betsy in 2003 when I was training for my first marathon with the AIDS Marathon charity program. We were in the same pace group. We became pretty friendly. And every so often, her sister, Lynne, would join us. Well, Lynne and I both got injured and had to defer our registration for the race until the following year. But we decided we would train together for it. So, Lynne and I ran together the following summer.

Lynne and I were instant friends. We share much of the same interests and beliefs. I believe our first conversation was about how the present Commander in Chief is severely lacking in several key areas. Though we used much less tact and far more colorful language. Anyway, Lynne is so the person I want to be when I grow up. She's fun and smart and completely down to earth. You feel instantly comfortable in her presence and you want to be part of her circle. And Betsy is the exact same way. The two of them are the older sisters I never had but always wanted and I'm so grateful to have them in my life.

So, last night we went to see Joan Osborne. Lynne is a super music hound and goes to shows as much as she can. Since I don't get to see her and Betsy very often, I joined them and another friend, Kim, for the show. I don't know anything about Joan Osborne other than the "What if God Was One of Us" song. Plus, today is Lynne's birthday, so I wanted to see her anyway.

The show was pretty good. Joan Osborne is a great singer. Most of her current music is very blues-y. She did a lot of covers and some of her own songs from an upcoming album. She did sing the God song, though I figured she wouldn't since she seems so far removed from that. But I enjoyed the show. I really enjoyed the blues-y music. It's very sultry. It's like that Friends episode when Phoebe gets a cold and loves her voice so much, she starts singing the blues.

The show was at the Ram's Head in Annapolis, which I've never been to before. It's a restaurant in "downtown" Annapolis that also has a bar area for shows. It's small and low-key, which I like. It seems like they have a good variety of shows, even some for kids. So, I think we'll be going there more often.

The only bad part of the evening was getting home at 11 PM, a mere 6 hours before I had to get up for work. Well, that didn't happen, as expected. But I was still able to get to work on time, which is what matters! The fact that I'm in my pajamas is insignificant. (I'm really not in my pajamas) I have a pretty busy day, so hopefully I'll make it through. Bring on the coffee!

You know, when I was in elementary school, we sang this song about coffee. Why, I really don't know. It's kind of a strange song for little kids to be singing. But, I still remember the words to this day. So, imagine a little 8-year old me singing this:

C-O-F-F-E-E
Coffee is not for me.
It's a drink some people wake up with.
That it makes them nervous is no myth.
Slave to a coffee cup, they can't give coffee up!

How funny is that? Sing it proud!

No comments: