Monday, June 23, 2008

I Want You (She's So Heavy)

My child is giving me a complex.

We were at breakfast yesterday morning, having a lovely time in Starbucks. I was eating their low-fat turkey bacon breakfast sandwich, which may sound not so tasty, but is quite tasty. Anyway, my sweet, adorable child looks at me and says, in a very disapproving voice, "Mama, you're too heavy to eat that."

I just about died.

John and I looked at each other in total disbelief. Did my child just tell me I'm fat? Now I know he couldn't have really meant anything about being fat. He's not even 3, he doesn't understand the concept of size and weight. But because of my body image issues, I kind of can't get it out of my mind that my child told me that I'm fat.

John's really sweet and tried to tell me how Keller didn't really know what he was saying and blah blah blah. But I think he knew it was pointless. The damage was done. What I'm a little concerned about is where Keller came up with that? He had to have heard someone say something like that to someone. I know it wasn't us.

So it begins: the period of time where my child has absolutely no filter on what he thinks and what he says. I can only imagine the fun this will bring!

Happy Monday!

No comments: