Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I Run For Life

I have to say that if you're reading this and you don't run regularly, this post will bore the hell out of you.

Last night was the most perfect night for running. I had to go into Fleet Feet for a little while. A new Beginning 5K group started last night. So, I was there to help the new coaches get things started and welcome the new runners. It was nice. But I didn't get home until about 7:30. When I got home, John was giving Keller a bath, so we all played for a while and then got Keller ready for bed. By the time he was in bed, it was 8:00. I normally really hate starting my runs so late, but I only had a short one ahead of me so I needed to just suck it up.

But it really wasn't that hard to get me out the door. Earlier in the evening, a thunderstorm came through and cooled everything off. It was about 70 degrees out when I started, with a nice cool breeze. Oh, it was gorgeous. I ran along, listening to the sound of my feet hitting the ground. I know this sounds kind of crazy, but I love hearing the sound of my feet hitting the ground, mixed in with the sound of my breathing. It's just a sound that makes me happy. It's like I know I'm alive.

I just ran 3 miles of bliss. I felt like I could run all night. I actually closed my eyes for a few seconds and just took some deep breaths while I ran. Just to feel it. Picture Leonardo DiCaprio screaming, "I'm the King of the World." That was kind of me. Only I wasn't screaming. Or on a boat.

You know, you don't have to be a runner to understand what it is I'm talking about. Think about something that you absolutely love to do. Close your eyes and picture the most perfect conditions for that particular activity. Breathe it in. Everything is moving together, all the pieces fall into place. It's something as human beings we strive for on a regular basis. We want the pieces of our families, jobs, friends, etc., to all fall into place and be perfect. It's very rare that we ever get to experience that feeling. But when we do, you know life is just awesome.

If anyone wants to know why I run, it's because of everything I described above. I run to feel alive. I may not feel that way on every run. But when I do, man, life freaking rocks.

No comments: