Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Love hurts

I hate Tuesdays.

I know the more common day of dread is Monday. But I have always hated Tuesdays. It's just a useless day. Here's my take on the days of the week:
  • Monday: There's hope for the new week.
  • Tuesday: Stupid, useless day.
  • Wednesday: Yay! Week is half over.
  • Thursday: Yay! Tomorrow is Friday!
  • Friday: Yay! It's the weekend.
This Tuesday sucked huge, giant, ass. I got a call from Keller's teacher and his behavior has gotten out of control at school. He was throwing fits, hitting other kids, and then he bit one of the other kids. WTF? My child actually bit another child.

I remember when we were in NH with our friends Stephanie, Russ and Erika a few summers ago and Lola nipped Stephanie. It was the first (and only) time Lola had ever nipped anyone. And Steph was fine, it wasn't a bad bite or anything. But I was so horrified. I couldn't believe my puppy bit someone.

Well, that's kind of how I feel right now. My sweet, wonderful little boy has become a menace to the kids in his class. My first instinct is to take him out of school and keep him home with me. But I know that wouldn't do any good for him. He thrives at school.

I know this kind of behavior is relatively common for young kids. They have a hard time expressing themselves at this age. But his school would still like to have a conference with us, which is scheduled for tomorrow morning. Ugh.

Though, with all of this going on, I have just felt there has to be a reason for this behavior. He is not like this. On a hunch, I poked around his mouth and lo and behold! His second set of molars are coming in. That explains so much! He was such a terror when he was teething as an infant and young toddler. His first set of molars were simple and arrived unnoticed. But every other tooth in that kid's mouth brings back memories of fits and screams and tears. And that was just me.

So, we'll go to the conference tomorrow and hopefully they will have some ways to help us teach Keller how to better cope with his feelings. I love him so much, I just want him to be happy and healthy.

No comments: