Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Beginning of Something New

We've given our two-week notice to Peppertree (Keller's school) today. His last day there will be August 15th and he'll start his new school on the 25th.

We're taking him out early so that we can use that week before he actually starts at the new school to slowly transition him there. So, we'll take him there for a couple of hours each day for that week before he goes full-day. This way he can meet his teachers and get familiarized with the new school so that it isn't such a shock to him when he starts regularly. I also felt it would be confusing to him to visit the new school and then go back to the old school during that week. So, he's just going to end there on the 15th.

I'm having such anxiety about this. I want so badly for this to go well. I am so worried that he's going to freak out when he can't see his friends anymore. But, in all honesty, the only friend in his current class is Noah. Everyone else is fairly new and he hasn't formed those bonds yet. And we see Noah all the time outside of school, so hopefully it will be all right. But I am definitely worried. I think I may even have an ulcer.

If anyone has any advice on how we should be doing things, I'd greatly appreciate it. I think we're handling things as best as we can and I just hope it's enough. In the long run, Keller is going to get so much more out of this new school, that the bumps we'll face transitioning should be just a drop in the bucket. I hope anyway.

No comments: