Monday, September 8, 2008

Baby Come Back

This weekend was nice. Uneventful. Which is always nice. Saturday was a wash out and my run was postponed until this morning. So, the day was spent playing with Keller and watching tennis until it was rained out.

Sunday was yet another 20-mile run. It was a struggle this time. I'm just tired. I haven't been sleeping well, plus all the emotional stress of Keller in a new school and trying to figure out what I'm doing with my life. Anyway, we got through it and that's the important thing.

After the run, Allison and Ava came over and Keller was in heaven. He just loves Ava. He was asking about her all day on Saturday, which was weird because I didn't tell him we were seeing them at all. He's psychic. But they played away and Allison and I were able to catch up.

Then is was nap time, which didn't last very long unfortunately. Oh well. But Keller and I had a nice afternoon together and then it was bath time and bed time. And then I went to sleep.

All this buildup to say that I taped the womens US Open final between Serena Williams and Jelena Jankovic. I used to really dislike the Williams sisters because of their arrogance and annoying demeanor. Yes, they changed the game with their power. Womens tennis was always kind of demur. The Williams sisters came along and made it powerful and fierce. Then they kind of fell off the face of the tennis court, getting caught up with other things like fashion design and acting. Everyone wrote them off. Then I guess they got their focus back. And they're really doing so well. I have to respect that. So I find myself rooting for them which is kind of a weird feeling for me. Just because I really didn't like them for so long. But they've both made such a great comeback in their careers. Which means they've been working hard and really taking things seriously. Serena won the US Open and I'm happy for her. It's the first time she's one the US Open since 2002.

If you think about it, imagine being the CEO of a company. And then you were fired. In an ugly manner with rumors swirling about your incompetence and lack of ability. And then 6 years later, you found your way back to the top, in spite of the doubters and nay sayers. That doesn't happen often in any field, and pretty rarely in sports. Once you're down, you're usually out. And it's a woman making such a great comeback, which is an awesome thing.

I guess the point of this whole ramble is that you should never really count yourself out of the game. If you work and believe in yourself, anything is possible. On this grumbly Monday morning, I'm hoping that thought will make this week a great one.

No comments: