Thursday, September 4, 2008

Part-time Lover

I am now a part-time employee. Woo hoo!

I have been contemplating going part-time at work for some time now. I have been feeling really disconnected from my life, namely my husband and child. Since Keller has started his new school, he has been sleeping later in the morning. And while, in general that's a good thing, I leave at 7:00 in the morning because of traffic and the commute into Bethesda. So I barely saw him. One morning, I even woke him up a little (he was awake but still in that sleepy phase) just so I could see him before I left. When I did have to go he would say, "Mama, stay here with Keller" or "Mama, I need you to play." And my heart would break every time I had to tell him I had to go. Well, that has all changed!

I spoke with my boss on Tuesday and I now am on a part-time schedule. I'm so excited. Today, Keller and I played for about an hour! It was awesome. John and I got ready for work at the same time and we were able to talk and catch up. We usually don't get to spend a lot of time together because of our various training regimens. So this morning was really nice. Anyway, after we got ready, Keller and I were off to school. And we play this game when we are in the car together: he wants to find the letters of the alphabet, in order, on the signs and stuff along the way to our destination. We found all the letters, though I cheated a little with 'Y' and 'Z'. They were found in the classroom, where I knew we would find them. Oh well.

But I'm so excited because now I get to take him to school and pick him up every day. And if I can't pick him up for some reason and John gets him, I won't feel guilty about it because I would have already spent buckets of time with him in the morning.

Yes, it's a financial cut. But, really, in the grand scheme of things, spending time with my wonderful baby is a hell of a lot more important.

And, in addition to having more time with my family, I'll be able to coach a lot more. I won't spill the beans on that venture yet, so stay tuned...

Seriously, dude. Life is good.

No comments: