Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tangled Up In Blue

The newest season of The Biggest Loser started. Yay!

When this show first started, I really thought it was the worst idea ever. I thought it was going to be about bringing a bunch of overweight people together and tempt them with food and make them miserable. And basically promote being skinny and all that crap. That is so not the case.

They bring people who are overweight to a ranch and make them work out and eat right to lose weight. But they do it the right way: through exercise and a healthy, nutritional diet. And, yes, it's ultimately a game and competition and these people are playing to win some amount of money. But really, they are learning very important skills and tools to lose weight and keep it off by living a healthy lifestyle.

A lot of the contestants often have some type of counseling or talk session with their trainers and the doctors that are involved with the show. They learn why they eat and can't lose weight. Which is so important. Whether it's their environment, their relationships, their emotions, etc., they learn ways to cope with these things so that they can overcome them. And lead the lives they have always wanted. Being fit and healthy.

I know I get all geeky when it comes to stuff like this. And it's not because I lead a healthy lifestyle. It's because I didn't always lead a healthy lifestyle. There was a period of my life where I was very self-destructive and wasn't the healthiest in the world. Yet, through the support of my family, friends, and health care professionals, I was able to get through it. And that is why living a healthy lifestyle is so important for me. Being healthy saved my life.

That is why I devote my life to helping others reach their goals. It is so important to have that person that believes in you and will help you get there. That's why I LOVE Bob Harper. He's one of the trainers on the show. I love him. He, too, grew up in an environment that was not conducive to a healthy lifestyle and so many of his family members are going down a road that is dangerous. His mom passed away from a heart attack. So, his way to combat all of that is to be healthy and active. And he's just awesome. I love him.

I'm stepping off of my soap box now. I'm just really happy that The Biggest Loser is back! It's so inspiring.

No comments: