Thursday, September 25, 2008

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Have I used this title before?

Anyway, why are humans never satisfied? Seriously, why do we always want the opposite of what is actually going on?

What I'm referring to is the weather. This last week has been really nice. Not hot, not humid. Nice, fall weather. But yet, people will still complain about it. You know, after they just finished complaining about how hot it was a week ago.

Last Saturday morning I was giving a talk to the Montgomery County Road Runners Beginning 5K group. We started at 8:00 AM and it was about 58 degrees or something like that. Absolutely perfect running weather. In fact, even a little warm for my taste. And I heard some people complaining about how they were freezing. Meanwhile, not a week before it was in the 90s with 100% humidity. There was a race the weekend before (Parks Half Marathon) and people were sent to the hospital for heat exhaustion and other heat-related issues.

This morning is another example. It's chilly and windy, and a bit cloudy. We're expecting some rain. But it's in the high 50s again. It's actually a nice morning. On my way to work, I saw some women doing their morning walk in big coats, hats and mittens. Are you kidding me? We don't live in Antarctica. Then I get to work and one of my coworkers has this thick ass sweater on and is complaining about how freezing she is. She has the heat turned up to the highest level in her office. Seriously, if you go in there, you're hit in the face with a wall of hot air and immediately pass out. It's dangerous.

So, what's the deal, people? Fall and spring are my favorite seasons for the cool mornings and pleasant afternoons. But I just love how everyone sits and cries about how hot it is all summer and how they can't wait for cooler weather. Then the cooler weather gets here and people cry about how cold it is. Mother Nature can't win. Maybe that's why the Earth is going haywire. It's all about Karma!

No comments: