Thursday, June 30, 2011

Poker Face

My latest obession happens to be a TV show. One night when I was up with the girls, I stumbled upon Piers Morgan Tonight. I'm liking this Piers Morgan guy.

I believe Piers took over for Larry King when he retired last year. I don't know why but I really like the way Piers interviews people. He's extremely well prepared and he always relates the interviewee to himself in some way. It's very personable and it makes the interviewee feel at ease. And when they feel at ease, they talk freely. And talk they do.

Anyway, I watched his interview with Barry Manilow recently. I love me some Barry Manilow. I have fond memories of a road trip with my mom and dad, blasting Barry and all of us singing along. They came to visit me at school for spring break. We drove from Tempe to San Diego and sang the whole way. It was fun. But, back to the interview. Actually, my thoughts really have nothing to do with the interview itself but more of Barry's looks. The poor man can't move his face. Really, it doesn't move when he talks. Is this healthy? How does he still sing and perform? And one of the questions Piers asked was if Barry is vain. He said he was as vain as the next guy. What does that mean?

I'm not going to say he looks horrible and make fun of him. I'm wondering why people do this to themselves. I get not wanting to look old and haggard. Trust me, I look in the mirror and wonder where my youth went. I think I've aged 10 years in the past year. But I wouldn't mess with my face so much so that it wouldn't move when I talk.

It was an interesting series of questions/comments that preceded Piers' 'vain' question. Apparently, Barry Manilow made some comments about how he, Bette Midler and Lady Gaga, despite the size of their noses, have become enormously successful. That perhaps all the ridicule they've received because of their honkers made them the superstars they are. I agree with this!! I was made fun of day and night because of my nose. It haunted me. I wanted a nose job desperately. But my parents wouldn't let me (thankfully). So, according to Barry's theory, I will be a superstar someday. Is it too late? I think I still will hit it big. Just watch.

No comments: