Thursday, May 22, 2008

Live by the code


I am a closet Beverly Hills, 90210 fan. Actually, I'm not really in the closet because most of my friends and family know. It's my most guilty pleasure.

I don't know what it is about the show that I love so much. When it first came out, I watched religiously. I was the same age as they were on the show. Well, I was the same age as the characters, the actors were all old. I guess because it was about high school and hi jinks, it struck a chord. And then, as the years went on, the story lines got pretty bad. Don't get me wrong, I still watched. But it was more like to see how insane it could get. And once Brenda left, it just wasn't the same. I was one of the few that actually liked Brenda. And I hated Donna Martin. I certainly didn't want to see her graduate. When I was in college, we all got together in someones room to watch every Wednesday night. It was awesome. I still remember when we watched Dylan's wife of all of 2 days get shot by her own father's hit men! Oh, the irony. Those bullets were meant for Dylan.

That was pretty much when I stopped watching. Not because Dylan left the show, I was just over it. If you can believe it. I'd see it every now and then. I think it was on before Party of Five. Yes, I loved that show too. Poor Bailey. Anyway, fast forward 10 years, I discover that 90210 is on SoapNet. This is while I'm pregnant with Keller and on bedrest for 12 weeks. I rediscovered my love for 90210. It was on twice a day and it became the highlight of my day. Before you judge, imagine spending everyday of your life in bed hoping whatever movement you do make doesn't throw you into premature labor and jeopardize the health of you and your baby. You'd take what you could get too. Anyway, they started at the beginning and ran all the way through to the end. It was like being reunited with an old friend. When my parents visited, we'd all sit on the bed together and watch, because there was no way I was missing it (the TV in the bedroom doesn't have TiVo). And, as much as they deny it, they love 90210 too. How can you not?

So, now, three years later, I am happy to say that I'm still a faithful viewer. I can't watch everyday, unfortunately. Stupid life obligations! I TiVo it and watch it when I can. And I know I'm not the only one with the 90210 love because they're making a new one! Oh, it's going to stink, but I'm going to watch. Here's a preview. I think there will be a couple of old cast members popping in here and there, too. I can't wait!


You know you're humming the theme song now.


No comments: