Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

There are times in my life where everything feels so surreal, it just can't be me. I don't mean it in a negative way, like, "This can't be happening to me!" I mean it more like, "Wow, when did this all happen?" I feel like that a lot when it comes to being a mom. I still can't believe I have a child, even almost three years later. There are days when I wonder when I became an adult. I can't possibly be in my 30s with a child. That's just crazy. I still feel like I'm a kid.

So, when Mother's Day rolls around, I forget that I can get in on the action. I forget that I'm now one of the moms that get cards and little gifts and stuff. I like it!

Friday began the Mother's Day weekend. Keller's school had a breakfast for all the moms. We went to school a little early and had bagels and donuts. All the kids had made little gifts for the moms. My first Mother's Day craft! Keller brought over his little gift and he had this sweet look on his face. He was so excited and stood there all fidgety as I opened it. It's a little paper bear that he painted brown. It has a heart in the belly that says, "For a beary special mom." Yes, my heart melted. It has a magnet on the back, so it's now on the fridge.

Saturday morning we all went to Starbucks for breakfast. We went shopping of course afterwards. We were right there at Target, so we just had to go in.

Unfortunately, while this Mother's Day is special, it is also bittersweet. It is still so soon after my grandmother passed away. While we were in Target, I was buying the Mother's Day cards (yes, I know they're late. I couldn't bring myself to get them) and had a freak out. I picked up the Grandmother cards for John's grandmothers. I didn't even read them, I just picked up whatever said Grandmother. Then, as I was looking for the ones for our moms, all I could see were the Grandmother cards. This is the first time I'm not buying one for my grandmother. I had to run and get John. I was crying hysterically and he was so confused. He didn't know what was going on. Keller was a little confused as well. I could finally get it all out and tell him what was going on. He went over and finished getting the cards. But it was an unexpected freak-out. I miss her so much.

After Target, we just came home and hung out. John had a race this morning, so he had to go pick up his race packet yesterday. So Keller and I just hung out for a while. We then had a birthday party to go to. A friend of mine from graduate school, Chad, and his wife Tamyra have a little boy, Preston, who turned 2. They are also expecting their second baby in November. Anyway, we went to the party and had a good time.

After the party, we came home, made dinner and ate, then Keller went to bed. I watched Juno while John got ready for his race. He had a sprint triathlon in Centerville, VA this morning. He had to get up really early this morning because the race started at 6:30 and it's about 30-45 minutes just to get there. Anyway, Juno was an awesome movie. I loved it. Yesterday's blog is about my thoughts.



This morning, Keller and I enjoyed a nice, quiet morning of cuddling. We just hung out and cuddled, then played until John came home. We called Mee-ma (my mother) and talked for a long time. She's doing all right. It's bittersweet for her too. But Keller told her he loved her and wished her a happy day and that made her feel good. John came home and they gave me a beautiful necklace that says, "Maman, je t'aime" which is "Mom, I love you" in French. So sweet. After the heart melting, I went for a run and then we went over to The Silberman's house for brunch. It was so great to see them, I haven't seen Allison in a month, I think. Phil made a great breakfast of eggs and veggie bacon, plus a pizza and some lasagna. And he made some carrot juice. It was nice. Then we all hung out and Ava and Keller played. It was a nice morning/afternoon.

After brunch, we all took naps. Then John and Keller went to the store to buy the ingredients for dinner. And now John is furiously making dinner for us. We're having tilapia fillets. Yum!

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

No comments: