Friday, July 18, 2008

Oh You Silly Thing

As I'm driving into work this morning, I have a flood of thoughts. For instance, I realized that I could never be a gang member because I can't make gang signs with my hands.

This troubles me because I feel like a whole part of society is off limits to me simply because I can't do stupid things with my hands. I've never been able to make stupid hand signals, like for Star Trek or something. The most I can do is the NaNu NaNu sign from Mork and Mindy. And that's an easy one.

I just feel a little left out. What if I really wanted to be in a gang and was an awesome gang member but couldn't hang with the gang signs. Life just isn't fair sometimes. The local gangs are SO missing out on me.

I also started thinking about the crazy things people do with their hair. For instance, there is this girl I see on Rock Creek Trail, where we run, that has a really strange haircut. Her head is completely shaved except for this tuft on the side that's long enough that it hangs down to her ear. What is the point of that? I saw her for the first time a few weeks ago and then I saw her again yesterday. The tuft seems to have grown a little. I just don't get it. I mean, I understand that our hair and what we do with it is a form of expression and blah blah blah. But the tuft? What does that even mean?

I watched the premier of Project Runway last night (I had taped it from Wednesday). The challenge was a revisit from the first season where the designers had to make an outfit out of products they bought from the grocery store. For the most part, it was boring with everyone making dresses out of table cloths. But this one guy, who apparently already is a fairly successful designer, made this ridiculous rain coat out of a shower curtain. And then had his model wear yellow Playtex dish washing gloves. WTF? Like I would wear that. Seriously, his poor model looked so terrible. As one of the judges said, it looks like something someone would wear to kill someone. As the judges were berating the designer, his model was trying so hard not to laugh. It was hysterical. The guy was ultimately booted, so that's good. And it was so good to see Tim! I love him! I wonder if it would be weird if I incorporated his catch phrase into my regular vocabulary. Make it work, people! Do you think that when I give my work to my editor and he tells me he's swamped and I say, "Make it work!" he'd get mad? I don't know. I'll give it a try later.

Happy Friday everyone!

1 comment:

jgill said...

Gang members are very reasonable; I think they would overlook your inability to make a cool gang sign with your hands. Who knows maybe there is even a training program you could enroll in?