Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Everybody's Talking

Last night my child made everything that is going on just simply disappear for a little while.

We went through the usual bedtime routine, with John giving Keller his bath and getting him into his pj's. Then we played a little. The occupational therapist that was part of Keller's evaluation gave us some great tricks to get Keller to calm down at night. Which have really helped. Anyway, we played and then read stories. Then it was time to get into bed.

We have gotten into the routine that we read a few stories either in the chair or on the floor but the last one is always in bed. So, we read the last story in the bed and it was time to say goodnight. Keller has chosen this time to be his "talk time" and tells one of us that he wants to talk. Last night, it was me that was privledged with talk time.

We talked about his new school and all the new friends he's going to make. He's starting to understand that his current friends will stay at the current school while he will be going to the new school. But he will always be able to see his friends from the current school even though he won't be in the same class. He is starting to get a little excited about the new school, which is great. I mean, his excitement varies and sometimes he doesn't want to go. But I think that's pretty normal.

He then asked me if I wanted to get into bed with him. Now, Keller's bed is a toddler bed. And I stress the word toddler. He is almost too big for it, so you can only imagine how I'm going to fit in there. Well, I balled myself up and got into bed. We cuddled and continued talking. He asked when he would see Mee-ma and Bee-ba (my parents) and I told them they were coming to see him next week. He asked about Uncle Jay and Aunt Nancy (my brother and sister-in-law) and I told them we would see them later. He was satisfied with that.

Then we just talked about silly things and off to sleep he went. It was really a wonderful moment. I have always loved putting Keller to bed because it was our family time. But now that he wants to "talk" at night, I absolutely love it. It's wonderful.

It's amazing how such a routine thing can make you feel wonderful.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments: