Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Today is the first day of school in Montgomery County.

As I was driving into work this morning, I passed a bunch of kids waiting at the bus stop right by our house. I then passed a bunch walking to school as I drove by the high school that's close to our house. For the most part, the kids looked pretty happy.

I was trying to remember if I liked the first day of school. I think I did. I always had fun picking out my first-day-of-school outfit and looked forward to seeing my friends I didn't see over the summer. Or I think I did. I can't remember now.

There is a commercial they used to show for Staples, I think, of a dad strolling through the store, with his grumpy kids, getting school supplies as "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" played in the background. I love that commercial and I wished they still played it. But I think the dawn of a new school year would be a happy time for kids. It's like getting a clean slate, which rarely happens in life. But I guess once you get to middle school and high school, skepticism and doubt have entered your mind and you just want to go back to bed.

Thanks to Connie, here is the commercial!



Keller's first full day was yesterday. And he did great! He was a little whiny when we left, but his teacher said he did really well all day. He was clingy at circle time, but he still participated and wanted to be there. He also needed a little help with his nap, but he ultimately slept for an hour and a half. Not bad for the first day. I really hope this transition continues to go well. What is pretty cool is the new school is tiring him out a little more. He went to sleep about a half hour earlier than usual last night and slept until after 6:00 (which is like noon in our house). I almost didn't see him before I left for work because I leave at 6:45. But as soon as I heard him stirring and playing I made sure to go in there and get some squeezes. A day without seeing Keller before I leave is like a day without air.

Now I'm at work for another Tuesday. Ugh. I'm getting some more coffee.

No comments: