Sunday, September 28, 2008

We Are the Champions

Well, it only took 14 hours and 55 minutes, but my husband is now an Ironman finisher. Pretty awesome!

So, when I left off in yesterday's post, I was going on a run. I ran up to the bike course and ran along there for about an hour hoping to see John. I saw him right before I was turning to go back. He was in good spirits and was having a really good ride.

After a while, we went over to the transition area and we able to see John start the run. He was still smiling!

We walked part of the run course and because the runners were looping all over the place, we were able to see John 3 times! It was great.

We left to get dinner and headed back for the finish. It was after 8PM at this point and Keller eventually fell asleep. And it started raining again.

But then, at about 9:40, John came running out of the darkness with about a half mile to go. I ran with him and he was still in great spirits. We made it to the track and it was great watching him cross the finish line. He did it! We were all crying a bit.

John was in pretty good shape. He was coherent and his body didn't start breaking down until about a third into the run. I think that's pretty good considering he had been racing for 11 hours at that point.

We are so proud of you. You are a true rockstar!

No comments: